Thursday, October 20, 2011

From the Lloyd Archives - March 15, 1920

Lloyd's Assistant Archivist found the following letter in the archives of Curtis G. Lloyd, one of the Library's founders. While this infraction he recounts by two local boys hardly seems so severe by today's standards, and his proposed course of action extreme, we all couldn't help but chuckle a little at the thought of it all. By this time, Curtis Lloyd was a little over 60 and suffering from diabetes, and so this might actually have been more annoying to him at this point in his life than it would otherwise have been. From 1920:
"Dear madam:

You have two very bad boys. For the past two or three weeks every time they pass my house on their way from school they stop and ring the bell and then run. I caught one of them last Friday and took his cap for I wanted to have him identified, supposing he was one of the Childrens' Home boys. After I had taken the cap, it being a muddy day, he went out into the street and plastered the front of my house with mud. I took the cap to Mr. Crouse, knowing he would correct it if it was one of the Childrens' Home boys, and while none of the children came home without a cap the children of the Home knew the boy to whom the cap belonged and said it was one of your boys. Today in passing the house they indulged in their favorite pasttime.

I beg to advise you that unless you take steps to relieve me of this annoyance I shall apply to the Juvenile Court and endeavor to have them sent to the House of Correction as incorrigibles.
Yours truly,
C. G. Lloyd"

1 comment: